Friday, August 17, 2007

slacker

Yep, that's me!

I ran the Chicago Distance Classic last Sunday, with near-nary a significant training run going into it.  I realized that I feel rather grateful that I was able to do it.  And, I suppose that I shouldn't complain about my 2:22 finish time considering how much work I put into getting ready for it ... that is, not much. I wasn't in it for the money.  This time especially I felt the "race is the prize."

So, what have I done with myself since?  Not running, that's for sure.  I've been so busy in my other life (that is, my job, geek stuff) that I haven't been able to get to sleep at any sensible time to allow me to get up in order to run!  I really hate burning the candle at both ends (which I do so well, and consistenly for years), so in the interest of my mental health and health in general, I've been allowing myself the extra 90 minutes to sleep.  I thankfully have been getting in some yoga practice, but even that has been challenging.  Regardless, I consider this particular way of living to be temporary.

Marathon training must recommence now!

I've come to realize (or remember) that I'm not a runner for PR or speed.  I really just like to run and to be out running regardless of the given performance.  I recall that when I started I never had any intention to actually run anything, only to be able to.  What this *really* means is that I go out to run because it's *fun* ... as it should be!  And I just want to run a 26.2 mile chunk of fun!

No comments: